First Vice District Governor
Single and sub-districts elect a first vice district governor in accordance with the International Constitution and By-Laws and the district’s constitution and by-laws and adopted election procedures. The second vice district governor does not automatically succeed to the office of first vice district governor, but is the only official candidate.
The first vice district governor assists the governor with membership development, the chartering of new clubs and the promotion of district events. The specific responsibilities of this officer are to:
Although the first vice district governor must be elected, the qualifications for the first vice district governor are similar to those for district governor, because the first vice district governor is the most likely successor to the governor.
- Further the purposes of this association;
- Perform such administrative duties assigned by the district governor;
- Perform such other functions and acts required by the International Board of Directors;
- Participate in the cabinet meetings, and conduct meetings in the absence of the district governor, and participate in council meetings as appropriate;
- Assist the district governor in the review of the strengths and weaknesses of the clubs in the district, identifying the existing and potential weak clubs and establishing plans to strengthen them;
- Conduct club visitation as the representative of the district governor when requested by the district governor;
- Serve as the District Governor Team liaison between the District Global Membership Team, working as an active member of the District Global Membership Team along with the District Governor, Second Vice District Governor and other Global Membership Team members to establish and implement a district-wide plan for membership growth;
- Work with the District Governor, Second Vice District Governor, and the Global Leadership Team to develop and implement a district-wide plan for leadership development;
- Work with the District Convention Committee and assist the committee to plan and conduct the annual district convention and assist the district governor to organize and promote other events within the district;
- At the request of the district governor, supervise other district committees;
- Participate in the planning of the next year including the district budget;
- Familiarize himself/herself with the duties of the district governor so that, in the event of a vacancy in the office of the district governor, he/she would be better prepared to assume the duties and responsibilities of said office as the acting district governor until the vacancy is filled according to these by-laws and rules of procedure adopted by the International Board of Directors.
The first vice district governor is not reimbursed by the association for travel or per diem expenses unless he or she is making annual club visits on behalf and at the request of the district governor. Reimbursement is according to the existing rules of audit. The multiple district or district constitutions may allow for other reimbursements
If a vacancy occurs in the office of district governor, the first vice district governor acts as district governor, performs the district governor’s duties and has the same authority as the district governor until the vacancy is filled by the International Board of Directors for the remainder of the term. If a vacancy occurs in the office of first or second vice district governor, the vacancy will be filled in accordance with the district (single, sub- or multiple) constitution and by-laws. Minimum qualifications for the vacant office are outlined in the Standard District Constitution and By-laws.
Because the first vice district governor directly participates in the administration of the district, he or she better understands the roles and responsibilities of the governor. If the first vice district governor is elected governor, a smoother transition occurs from one administration to another as well as continuity in the goals and objectives of the district. A confident governor is more capable of contributing to the success of international and district programs and to the goals of the association.
See more at http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/common/pdfs/dgm_ch01.pdf